Sunday, September 12, 2010

Seedless Gripes

I have a great job. I get to work with fascinating people, in a fascinating place, doing work, that if successful, will leave a lasting positive impact on a community as well as myself. I make my own hours, decide what projects I’ll work on and learn something new every day—not to mention I make hundreds and hundreds of Kwacha an hour. It’s hard to complain, yet I’ve found myself this past week reflecting on some of the challenges that come along with this gig.
The vast majority of the challenges stem from the fact that I’m living thousands of miles away from everyone I’ve ever cared about. I’ve missed the death of my Granddad, something I had come to terms with as a probable reality before I left, but nonetheless hard to be the only grandkid not there to say goodbye to a man I loved and respected. Both my two brothers are growing and changing in ways that will shape their lives and it’s a bit hard to swallow that I’m missing out on my chance to help nudge them in what I see as appropriate directions. I know they are doing great on their own, yet as an older brother I like to at least pretend my “wise” advice is given some credence. Friends are forging lives for themselves in which I currently play a minor to nonexistent role and a girl I love is attempting the same. I guess the hard part is the realization that life is dynamic and back home will never be the way I remember it. This isn’t a horrible thing, but enough to cause some melancholy musing once in a while.
The job itself also comes with its own set of hurdles. I don’t speak the language. Sometimes I think I’m getting better but almost as often I feel I’ve taken a step backwards—especially having just come back to the village after a month’s hiatus. I have a lot of ideas I want to get people here excited about, but it’s difficult to get them jazzed to follow somebody who stands up in a meeting and says “I like trees. We can like trees together by having bees.” People are friendly about it, but I can tell a lot of the time we just miss each other.
While like I said, it’s nice to set my own hours, the fact is that I’m supposedly on duty 24/7 while in the village. Sometimes I’m busy, and sometimes I’m not. I know the nature of work here requires quite a bit of waiting around and that it’s important to give myself time to do nothing, but it’s hard to shake the feeling that I could/should be doing something instead of sitting on the porch finishing my third book of the week. There is so much to do here that sometimes I get frustrated working at the village level. The system in which my farmers operate limits their set of options. Part of me wants to go straight to the top and address these issues rather than teaching one at a time to make compost and burn their fields… less often. At the same time, especially when I’m feeling tired; I think it would be nice to have a place where I go to work. A place where someone has decided what it is that I need to do that day and when I finish, I’ve finished.
Anyway I hope this hasn’t come off too gloomy. I just thought it would be good to write about some of the issues that keep life here interesting and challenging so that y’all don’t think I’m spending my days frolicking with monkeys and zebras through some lion kingesque safari advendutre. Zambia is a beautiful and mysterious (to me) place. It challenges me every day and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

5 comments:

  1. What a great reflection, Taylor. It didn't come off too gloomy in the slightest. Too many people focus on the easy and (boringly) exciting things in their adventures. Personally, I find it endlessly more interesting when someone details their struggles.

    I also feel you on the brother aspect; I just went back home after having been gone for half a year (nothing in comparison to you by the end) and both my brothers had changed a fair amount (luckily, for the better).

    But as you say, "It challenges me every day and I wouldn't have it any other way," I couldn't agree more. Life would be so mundane if things weren't a pain in the ass sometimes. Live for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your reflections. I just returned from a month in Zambia (I was born there). I blogged about it on my wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor, I loved this post. Thank you for writing so honestly, I know I can relate to what you are saying though on a much shorter scale.

    Speaking from the point of view of a younger sister, I think you should know that my older sisters set examples for me much more in their actions than in their words. Your decision to dedicate two and a half years of your life to improving the lives of a community of people on the other side of the world will probably affect them more than anything you could ever tell them.

    I love you and hope you have a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that was beautiful. You made your mother cry (again), too early in the morning. Your brothers are deeply impacted by you, even thousands of miles away. They strive to do their best, in part, to make you proud. They are practicing their "big brother" skills they learned from you a lot these days...
    Thanks for helping us raise them. Love you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Taylor,
    Sean just stopped by and reminded me of past things. I read with great interest your last blog entry. Although I did not feel the same sense of being distant, I do realize now how much of my family life I missed out on. And that has made a difference. I am sorry I have not kept in touch at all. Usually I am a responder. I will try to read more on your experience and keep up a bit better. Still, I am glad you are in Africa. It will set in your bones.
    timothy meinzen

    ReplyDelete